Monday, July 20, 2009

$100.00 per week grocery challenge

Well I can't do $100.00 per week. Blowed if I can.
I've been keeping account of how much I am spending in side bar - even the extra trips to gas station for milk & cream.
It's Monday of week 3 & I spent $47.50 vege box & $158.24 supermarket. I've been keeping a note of main meals we are eating.
My shopping includes all meals - I pack lunches & no takeaways. And it included special foods such as rice dream milk $4.65 & rice flour $4.84.

I'd really like to see what sort of meals folks are eating on $100.00 per week, I can't get mine below $200.00 per week. And my $200.00 per week is not a true & accurate figure as I have a big stockpile, beef & lamb in freezer which cost of home kill will be included if I keep a record. And rice bread I need a new delivery this week - so that will bump up this weeks food bill.

How are you all going on keeping a record of your grocery bill?

3 comments:

Nik said...

I don't think it's realistic to eat healthy on $100 at all! I have managed to get ours down to $160 a week (that includes the $47 box) and I don't have "adult" sized children! Like you, we make from scratch and provide all lunches in this budget. If we buy take aways, that goes on to the weekly amount. I do wonder with those that are able to say groceries only cost them $120 all up whether they eat out as well and don't include that? For our $160 we have no treats or "snacks". The kids get fruit and raw veges or yoghurt to eat between meals. I see our food budget as our long term health as well though, so it's not all about saving a few $$ eh? We were spending $200 a week until recently so you were doing better than me since you have bigger kids tummies to fill.

Admin said...

Hi Leanne
You are doing really well on your challenge, like Nikki I find it impossible, we ran our stockpiles right down before doing this and eat what I buy in the week, I cook everything and bake, and always choose the cheap options at the supermarket, go to Binn Inn and Butcher and Fruit and Veg man, I make my own washing powder and cleaners, Once per month buy shampoo(all family use same one), cleanser and moisturiser, deodorant. I dont buy snack foods, muesli bars etc or ready made anything, I dont buy beer or wine, flash juice, kids have W Bix, porridge or fruit and cornies for Brekie. I can get it to $130-$150. Which is better than it used to be by a long shot!!! I wont try to get to $100.

Niki said...

Hi Leanne, that's a tough challenge when you are feeding a family! Good luck with it.

About the dehydrating, it depends on the herb. Parsley I remove all but the smallest stems, dill I will put the whole stem on and then remove the leaves once dry, by just running my hand along the stem. The leaves fall off and the stem I discard.

Hope this helps
Hugs
Niki