Friday, July 10, 2009

Beef Casserole

Organic vege box delivery $47.50 - total weekly spend on food this week $167.06

Beef Casserole

Approx 500g beef I prefer rump steak & buy it when on special - we like lean non gristly meat & I cut off every bit of fat - so for our family worth paying a bit more for the cut of meat - less waste.
1 large onion diced
2-3 carrots sliced
2-3 stalks celery
2 bay leaves (James gave me a bay leaf tree fo my birthday & I just love picking the leaves!)
about 4 stems of parsley
salt n pepper
1 packet of beef stock - I use cambells real stock & top up with water to cover ingredients.
I try & let this for a day or at least overnight.

Pop in a med oven about 160 deg c and let it slowly cook. Just before serving I thicken if needed with 1 tablespoon of cornflour (make a paste in a cup of gravy water with 1 tablespoon of cornflour - then stir back into dish)

Served with mashed potatoes (yuck) - we only mash & have a dollop of olivani (dairy free) o milk we have got used to this
cabbage & cauliflower

And caught in the act eating dinner on our knees as I had forgoten to snap a photo. This is one of my least fav meals - but the family enjoy caseroles especial on a cold winters night.

2 comments:

Ali Honey said...

That looks a better deal for your money.

We sometimes use avocado oil with things we mash. ( Maybe that's just us pushing avocados! )

Leanne said...

mm I have tried that but family didn't like the taste - maybe it is the olive oil I buy - I buy the one from Italy in shops, haven't really looked.price NZ ones - but will have a look this week.