Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sunday times article

The Sunday times article states that a basic food only BASIC budget for a mum & dad, teenage son & teenage daughter is $260.00 per week (living in Auckland or Wellington) Add in non-food items such as cleaning products and toiletries and the bill goes up by $16 a week. Total grocery shop per week is $276.00

A moderate shop that contains some convenience food and greater variety leaps to between $328 (Dunedin) and $339 (Wellington) whereas a liberal budget which allows for more expensive cuts of meat, specialty items and convenience products comes in at between $393 (Dunedin) and $407 (Wellington). That would climb again with non-food items costed at $31 for a moderate shop and $48 for a liberal spend.

From this article I would put our family in the Liberal class as we do like nicer cuts of meat and require specialty items for food allergies this would mean my food budget should be $455.00 per week.

Now this just proves that the way I shop, buying in bulk, buying on sale, keeping a price book, buying meat from home kill & raising our own sheep, keeping our own hens for eggs, having a vege garden (even tho not producing much at this time of year)packing our own lunches is totally well worth all my efforts. And I bet the Sunday times figures doesn't take into account brought lunches & takeaways.

2 comments:

Corrine said...

Oh that makes me feel much better. I have a weeky family budget of $400. With this I must also buy clothes for all of us and various other annoying things like doctors visits. I was just trying to figure out why I am still spending nearly $300 most weeks on food when we have our own eggs and most of our own meat.
As we live remote, I already have a well stocked pantry, only shop once a week, have a garden etc etc but still the groceries cost more than I like (for a family of five)
I'm starting my price book today as it makes so much sense to buy in bulk when the price is better. Queenstown only has a fresh choice and a New World, and they both tend to be expensive anyway (the cost of freighting food they say HA)so thanks for the great idea.
My husband is also Gluten free, so if you have some good gluten free recipies I'd love to hear them.

Chaucey said...

I just don't understand how it is possible to spend so much money at the grocery store.
I'd love to see the receipt and descriptions of the meals that were made from it.
I don't feel like my family does without, and we do eat healthily with lots of treats too and the cost isn't like that.
Leanne, you are doing a great job with your cooking and budgetting and I'm really enjoying your blog.