Lettuce & beetroot from garden, carrot,, celery, cheese & egg from then hen, Tin of sweet chilli tuna (comes on sale often!) fruit & a hedgehog.Bacon & vegetable soup Served with poor mans bread

My soups never ever turn out the same they are what ever is in fridge type soup.
My base was a bacon hock ($4.95) and then everything just gets thrown in pot covered with water & left to simmer away all afternoon. My family likes is all whizzed up to a soup texture before serving (take out bacon & shred it retun shredded bacon back to pot after whizzing soup, Family enjoy getting chunks of bacon).
Soup is a cheap, easy meal - I often pop in crockpot if going to be out & want a meal ready when I get home. Or prepared early & started to cook before turning off & then just reheating when I get home.
Ok I threw in this soup - leeks, onion, celery, pumpkin, kumera, potato, carrots - no rules just what ever is on hand - I don't add salt as bacon can be satly enough but do add pepper & family seasons it to their taste.
Always enough left over soup & bread for lunch


2 comments:
Hi Leanne
I make bacon soup too & often in the crockpot with everything from the fridge like you ! I have found that Preston's in Wellington sell a large pack of bacon bones for $10, which I split into 3 packs for the freezer, feeds my family of 5. Less fat and skin and more meat than a hock, and cheaper too.
Carol
THANK YOU for heads up on bacon bones. I will get a pack next time in town. I don't like the fat on hocks - chooks do they go mad when they get it in their slops.
But always wondered about how much meat on bacon bones. So thanks I will give it a go. My family love the hunks of bacon in the soup (personally I choose not to have them)
Thanks for taking the time to say hi
Love Leanne
Post a Comment