Saturday, October 25, 2008

Spagetti & meat Balls.

1kg of mince - I use half the pack so 500grams another $6.00 meat meal. - TIP Always buy the bigger meat packs & then repack & freeze - or plan to use the rest in another meal for the week. Once you get stockpiling & price book shopping you will only buy your meat on sale & bring home & repack.

1 onion you can grate it but I prefer to cut it finely.
about 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs - I just give it a couple of good shakes.
salt n pepper
to bind use 1 egg or if allergic to eggs or have no eggs add 2 tablespoons of sauce - we use sweet chilli sauce, I don't use eggs & then James can eat them.

Then mix well with hands. If no egg the trick is to really massage the mince - this takes about 2-3 minutes and it is the key to not having your meat balls fall apart.

Then coat in flour or finely crumbed breadcrumbs. Use cornflour or rice flour if allergic to wheat.
Place olive oil in pan a good amount to coat pan - but not so it is thick - just to stop sticking.

On a med - high heat cook slowly the meat balls I pick up & turn balls with tongs this also helps stop them fall a part. Don't hurry cooking as you want insides to b cooked not just outside.

While meat balls are cooking make a salad.
Mine was lettuce, spring onion, carrot, tomato & avocado as that's what was in fridge.

Place in pot 1 tin of tomatoes (or I used my frozen tomatoes from February's crop) - add one tin of tomato paste, salt n pepper & gently heat on stove.

Boil jug & pour over dried spaghetti - If you have allergies use a small pot to make their wheat, egg free spaghetti - it is too expensive for all of the family to eat. Or give them rice with their meat balls, but I try to make all our meals the same where possible.

Serve.

If you use recipe love to hear how you got on & if it was a winner with your family. - Let me know if you need any help. I am very much not a recipe follower cook - it's all by a bit of this, bit of that - smell & taste usually.
Love Leanne

4 comments:

Nik said...

I buy the cheap rice noodles at the supermarket instead of the GF pasta and they are really nice. I prefer it to wheat pasta now.

Anonymous said...

Nikki said exactly what I was going to suggest - those rice noodles are great for all the family and so much cheaper than the gluten-free stuff. I actually prefer them now! They're very plain tasting so they go well with a flavoured sauce, or if you've got something less flavoursome to put on them, you can cook them with a little bit of stock or herbs.
They're in the lower shelves of Pak N Save, a hop & skip away from the pastas.

Anonymous said...

I just checked my packet and they're actually called 'Rice Stick' - made in Thailand, so I guess that explains the lack of an S on the end :D

Leanne said...

I have brought them - but James & I don't like them - Maybe we should give them another go