Friday, March 27, 2009

Chili Con Carne

This is a quick cheap meal for our family as we do not have takeaways - it's like a takeaway meal for the cook

500g mince - beef or lamb
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tins of Watties HOT chili beans
1 tin watties tomato paste
4 tomatoes (optional)
Salt n pepper

Brown the olives in a bit of olive oil.
Add mince - If cheaper quality of mince I cook on high stirring, getting all the lumps out. Drain the fat into a cup - this can be used in dog food or dog biscuits.
Turn element down to about 1/4 - add garlic,chili beans, puree & tomatoes - a bit of salt n pepper.

Let it cook away giving it a bit of a stir - if gets too dry add a little water.
The longer you can leave it to just simmer on the stove the better. I find it a quick meal - arrive home throw it all on & then I can go & do other chores - and a real quick meal to dish up.

Serve with rice & chopped coriander on the top.

NB I cook rice by boiling the jug - about 1/4 pot full of rice top with hot water from the jug put a lid on tight & leave - if in a hurry I will put this on the element & hurry it along. Drain what little water is left - fluff up with a fork & serve.

Kids like this meal & always a fight the next day who gets the left overs for lunch.

No comments: