Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tacos & Apple Pie

Again there is something satisfying when you can provide a meal from the land. It really doesn't get better than picking a lettuce straight from garden. The mince was lamb mince (about 500g but you ca use beef & can use less mince just beef it up with kidney beans), I gave a leg of lamb to a fried this week & she wanted to know what it's name was so they could give thanks at the dinner table...

One of James friends is a very fussy eater - doesn't eat any fruit or vegetables. So when he stays I make meals that I know he will eat & we can still enjoy our veges. And I can't help myself I sneak in some fruit & vege he will eat - such as apple pie.

This is a great beginners meal & both kids can whip this up.

500g of mince - I don't mind cheap mince as I just boil it dry - ie no water or oil, drain the fat, boil again. Doesn't take long then I add finely diced onion, crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 teaspoon chili (adjust to taste) salt n pepper.
2 tins watties tomato pasta sauce -
Optional is add a tin of kidney beans or chili kidney beans - can use less mince & make it go further

Then just prepare toppings, I've found kids really enjoy meals where they can help themselves.
lettuce, grated carrot, chopped tomato, taco sauce, cheese (we just make sure seperate tongs are used for cheese & everyone is careful not to contaminate the food - this is really important for guests to learn) mashed avocado - we had 3 avocados in vege box so I mashed 2 - due to allergies I just mash the avocado - if had visitors that would prefer sourcream, would split it & add sour cream & lemon juice to one bowl- but you do get use to not having sour cream.


Apple Pie
There was no need for pudding - but as James friend enjoys puddings I made an apple pie.
Very, very cheats way. I buy prerolled pastry - sweet short pastry, just peel off two sheets per pie, I'm not brand fussy - just which ever is on sale.

Peel & stew the apples - great way to use up bruised or mushy apples. - peel, take out core & cut finely - while preparing have pot of water to cover apple slices. I always make a big pot as can freeze the puree - usually it gets eaten for breakfast next day.
Once all peeled drain & leave a little water in pot & put on to cook.

I like chuncky apple pie not pureed so don't fully stew apples.
Best if you can prepare this ahead - as hot apple on pastry makes it go soggy.
But if no time - just pop dish in oven with bottom layer of pastry for a few minutes until it cooks. Then place apple on top - with about 1 teaspoon of cinamon sprinkled. - Top with another sheet of pastry. Prick holes & bake at 160 deg c until cooked.
Serve with whipped cream for those who like it/ can have it.

James just enjoys a large bowl of stewed apple.

Budget - a quick trip to shop for cream & milk $7.40 weeks budget = $174.46

2 comments:

Ali Honey said...

Sounds yummy. A kid who won't eat any fruit and veges - that's just ghastly...what does he have at home?

Leanne said...

Hi Ali
Yes I know it does my head in - he fills up here on bread & I make sure home baking is in the tins as he doesn't snack on fruit like my kids do. Not too sure what he eats at home - his mum tries to sneak veges in food. We had a friend in our teens who only ate chips, eggs & tomato sauce & chocolate biscuits. I've been a mean mum (grin) and there was never ever anything else to eat if they didn't eat their dinner - also not a fan on grazing - we eat 3 good meals a day. Kids always had to try something, never had to eat things they really didn't like. But they have grown up on lots of fruit & veges. Used to boil up their own dinners & mash when babies - none of this tin stuff - especially for James as he would react.