Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stockpiling your pantry.

Stockpiling depends on where you are with your pantry.

But each week as the specials come out from supermarket flyer's scan them & by using your price book (another post to come) start stocking up.

Jamie Oliver has his list of Pantry requirements here

Mine is different from his, I cook to suit allergies, cook from basics & possibly cheaper grin.

Flour white flour , wholemeal & self raising is nice but must have is white flour. I have 5kg tupperware bins (good investment) and buy flour in 5kg lots, flour does come on special monthly - your price book will help you.

Rice flour for gluten free cooking

Sugar - white sugar also in 5kg bulk purchase. Again much cheaper in bulk & comes on sale often.

Brown sugar
icing sugar
Castor sugar nice but you can otherwise just whiz up standard sugar in food processor

Baking Powder
Baking Soda (buy biggest pack you can as will use for cleaning (another post to come)
Cornflour
Custard powder

Golden syrup
Honey
Jams
vegemite

coconut
raisins or sultanas
Mixed fruit
rolled oats
cornflakes
breadcrumbs
popcorn just plain standard popcorn
walnuts
jelly
condensed milk
Asian Home Gourmet curry pastes - this is about the only processed food I have & is suitable for our families allergies. We go for beef curries.

Sea salt
pepper corns
Mixed herbs
bay leaves
nutmeg
cinnamon
ginger
Vanilla essence (real stuff not imitation a little goes a long way!)
NB I use a lot of spices - but tried to put in must haves - build your spices up slowly.

Soya sauce
Sweet chilli sauce
tomato sauce
Olive oil
vinegar (white vinegar is very good for clean windows so I buy big bottle)

Beef stock & chicken stock (NB stock is very easy to make & will do a post about this) (I buy campbells)

Basmati rice - I buy this in 5kg lots when on special.
lasagna - nb for all my pasta I buy budget brands I have founds works well.
Spaghetti
Macaroni pasta

Baked beans
Chilli beans - hot & mild
Chickpeas
Pasta sauce I use Watties & comes on sale often.
Tinned tuna & salmon

Tinned fruit - peaches, pears, pineapple, mixed fruit

tea bags
coffee
milo


That would be my basic pantry. Items I use the most. So I only buy them if on sale - all because of price booking.

I suggest you go through your pantry & work out what your family eats.

Get a pantry list going that your family likes. - Every family will be different - and with this knowledge it will help when you begin price shopping.

No comments: