Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Price Book - How to make one

Happy New Year!!!

December I don't normally stockpile, I find the prices go up!

Yesterday I got Woolworth's flyer & lots of specials.

The trick with stockpiling is buying only what you will actually eat & if it is a real sale.

By keeping a price book you get to know when you have a bargain & then you can stock up - eg Gluten free sausages are a saving of $2.00 a pack this week. I cleared their shelf & hope another stores has some.

I'd like to encourage you to start keeping one - you can be as detailed as you like - me I keep things simple as I try to cram soo many things into my day.

My Price Book.
It is just a small budget note book - nothing fancy! You can use an index book or an old ABC address book.

For me I record in isle order of the main shop I shop at ie Packnsave. I find this works well for me as most grocery shops are set out pretty much the same anyway. (NB I leave about a page empty between isles as slowly fill it up over the year) NB most supermarkets have handouts of layout of their isles you can have.

If my price book had an index it would look like this.
First page. My name & phone number asking for it to be returned if found GRIN yep I like it that much!
Fruit first 2 double pages (nb double page here after)
Vegetables
Meat
Deli
Bread
Baking
Cereals
Spreads
Hot drinks
tinned fruit
Sauces
dried fruit
Herbs
Tinned food
Laundry
Paper goods
Animal food
Beer/wine
Bathroom
Frozen food
Chickens
Biscuits
Tinned food (beans, taco)
Toilet paper
Last page I have standards must have for quick reference.


Grab your shopping receipts - hopefully you have a few lying around & begin entering in your prices. Use the shops weekly specials too.

I only record in price book - food our family buys.

Here's an example of my Deli page.

Gluten free sausages - $6.98 crossed out as price now $7.98

Olivani 500g $3.28, $2.46 $3.99 - as I am compiling my price book over the months I keep a record of how much I have paid for an item - this way I can clearly see when I have a special - that's when stockpiling really benefits. Sadly 2008 the price book has shown me just how much food prices have risen.

Olivani 1 kg $6.98, $8.59, $7.99 WW (shows me it was a woolworths price) $8.59

Butter - I am not brand fussy with some products - so especially with butter I just want the cheapest so I record different brands as I buy them. I have 9lbs butter in freezer - as when on special I stock up & pop in freezer.

It takes a wee while to start your price book, do record weekly the specials from the flyers - I enjoy a cuppa tea & quitely sit & do it. I don't find it a chore as I get a BUZZ when I out smart the grocery shop GRIN It won't take long before your price book is working for you and then you don't enter often - only amend prices - once you get to this entry level the book really sings & works for you & you can spot the bargains.

When I was learning the prices I had it open at each isles as I walked down them, now I leave the price book in my bag & if needed can quickly flick to isle page & scan for product t0 check if it is a special or not.

I'd really like to encourage you to grab an old notebook & just begin - it sure is an eye opener just how often food prices fluctuate, once your price book is up & running & you begin stockpiling you will be saving money. Then you begin to eat from your pantry - not from the supermarket.

If you do - let me know how you go.

I've googled price books & found some neat sites that may also help you. My price book is a no frills one - but you can get as detailed & fancy as you like.

http://organizedhome.com/make-price-book-save-money

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/05/02/use-a-grocery-price-book-to-slash-your-food-spending/

http://www.ncnblog.com/2006/01/04/grocery-price-book/

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/971013b.cfm

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/05/05mar14c.cfm

No comments: